Stretch marks are long narrow strips that generate on the skin which has a different color with the surrounding skin color.
Stretch marks are can affect anybody and affects both sexes but it is common among women. It happens when the skin cannot return to its normal elasticity level after a period of growth of the skin. It often affects areas where fat is stored in the body.
Stretch marks are not medical or health kind of skin problems but rather they are cosmetic problems that affect the quality of life. It can cause anxiety and assumptions among people, it disfigures, causing psychological and emotional distress among the young ones and during pregnancy.
It affects approximately 70% of girls during puberty and appears on the skin of expectant mothers especially the younger pregnant mothers after the 25th week of their pregnancy. Initially, it appears to be reddish or purplish in color and after sometimes it fades to silvery white lines that may or may not disappear.
Stretch marks are noticeable on areas like the thighs, hips, tummy, upper arms, lower back and breast parts of the body. It forms the middle layer of the skin when the layers tear due to the constant stretch of the body. It happens when the normal production of collagen in the skin is weak and damaged.
Stretch mark moisturizing cream
Stretch mark moisturizing cream
Body builders get stretch marks easily due to their constant body change during the body building process. Also, people who use creams containing steroids such as hydrocortisone can easily get stretch marks after weeks of usage.
Factors that Encourages Formation of Stretch Marks
1. Therapeutic interventions
4. Medical conditions
7. Using corticosteroids medications
Causes of Stretch Marks
a. Birth weight of the baby.
b. Gestational age at delivery.
c. Hormonal changes.
d. Physical stretching of the skin.
e. Excessive large breast implant.
f. Genetic factors.
g. Alcohol consumption.
h. Cushing’s disease which is the production of glucocorticoids in excess by the adrenal gland.
i. Maternal age.
j. The use of corticosteroid creams, pills, and lotions.
Medical prescriptions and procedures are said to be expensive and are not guaranteed to cure stretch marks, due to these facts you may intend to opt for homemade remedies which are cheap, skin friendly and carried out at the comfort of your home. They are as follows
1. Apply the mixture of almond oil, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of sugar to the affected area for some few minutes every day before a shower.
2. You can also whip two egg whites and apply to the affected area daily for two weeks and wash off when it dries.
3. Cut a slice of potato and rub it on the affected area, when it dries wash off with lukewarm water.
4. You can also apply castor oil to the affected area; apply heat to it by wrapping it with a hot bottle or cloth and wash off after 30 minutes.
5. You can also rub aloe vera gel on the affected area for 15 minutes before washing off with warm water.
6. Rub the affected area with warm olive oil to improve the blood circulation and diminish stretch marks.
7. Drinking enough water keeps your body hydrated, detoxifies the body and helps to fade stretch marks effortlessly.